Baijiu is a diverse category of drinks that includes all of China’s traditional grain-based distilled spirits. Literally the word báijiǔ 白酒 means “white alcohol” in Mandarin Chinese, but it is used much in the same way we use the word “liquor” in English. Baijiu is the national spirit of China, and thus the most popular spirits category in the world by consumption and sales. But outside of Asia, baijiu is rarely accessible and poorly understood.
This course is intended as a general introduction to Chinese spirits. Broadly speaking, it will describe what baijiu is, where it comes from, and how it is made and classified. It will provide you with the tools to introduce the subject to others.
Should you wish to continue your studies, and learn about baijiu in greater depth, this course also serves as a prerequisite to more advanced courses that will follow.
- If you pass the final quiz of this test you will receive your Baijiu Apprentice certification, which will unlock future online and in-person baijiu educational opportunities.
- There are several short videos throughout the course. These videos must be played before one can complete the lesson.
- You may view the course in any order, but we highly encourage you to complete the course in its intended order.
- A score of 80% or higher is required to pass each quiz.
- Completing all quizzes will unlock the final quiz.
- Be sure you have marked all sections COMPLETE to unlock your certification.
For additional information on how to navigate the courses at Ming River University, please click here.